Some facts we can’t pass sharing:
According to the NRDC (Natural Resource Defense Council):
- 40 percent of food goes to waste in the US
- Wasted food rotting in landfill accounts for 25 percent of US methane emissions
- Wasted food squanders 25 percent of all US freshwater
- 1 in 6 Americans is food insecure
- A mere 15 percent of this food could feed 25 million Americans every year
Some of this food goes to waste merely because grocery stores refuse to carry produce that doesn’t meet their rigid cosmetic standards. Here are a few things you can do to address this bizarre state of affairs:
- Sign the #WhatTheFork petition, asking Walmart and Whole Foods to carry ugly produce. The petition had over 100,000 signatures at the time I wrote this post.
- Check the Ugly Fruit and Veg Directory to find a grocery store near you that carries uglies. If you know of one missing from the list, please submit it to the directory.
- Hunt for uglies when you shop at the farmer’s market and grocery store. Send your pics to @UglyFruitAndVeg on Twitter.
Please, read the full article here, it includes tips to use up what you have on hand in order to reduce food waste besides saving time and money!)
Please Follow The Zero-Waste Chef on: