A nice vegetarian recipe for patties made for a great brunch or picnic dish. Serve it with some guacamole and fresh vegetables on the side (tomatoes, in my case). Enjoy!
Eat Good, Feel Good 🍏
Lentil & Garlic Patties
- 1 cup French lentils (dry)
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- oil for pan frying
- Place lentils with water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool till just warm. Drain water. Process coarsely in a processor/blender.
- Place lentil mash in a large bowl. Add all the other ingredients. Mix well and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Shape mixture into thick patties. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan coating the surface evenly. Place 3 patties in the pan and cook on medium-high heat, turning gently with a butter knife occasionally till cooked and golden on both sides. Repeat for remaining mixture and cook patties until golden (approx. 5-8 mins. for each batch).
Patties can be placed in a pre-heated, switched off oven to keep warm. To reheat, warm in the microwave or lightly on a pan. Patties can be stored in a container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days or frozen with sheets of baking paper between patties for up to a month.