This year’s International Day for Biodiversity theme promotes action in support of the Kunming-Montreal Global Biodiversity Framework: “From Agreement to Action: Build Back Biodiversity”
Although every Biodiversity Day carries with it its own special significance, this year’s global celebrations bring a renewed sense of hope, thanks to the adoption of the Kunming-Montreal Global Biodiversity Framework.
To mark this incredible achievement, the theme reflects both the celebratory nature of what was achieved at COP 15, as well as the urgency of what still needs to be done in terms of implementation.
Around the world, governments and people are showing what they are doing to Build Back Biodiversity.
What are the main drivers of Biodiversity Loss?
- Changes in land and sea use
- Direct exploitation of organisms
- Climate change
- Invasive alien species
Why should we care about Biodiversity?
- Biodiversity is essential for life on Earth
- Without biodiversity, without healthy ecosystems, we won’t have air to breathe, water to drink or food to eat
- Biodiversity, or nature, is also important for many aspects of mental health and the enrichment of our daily lives
How can we build back Biodiversity?
- We all have a part to play in halting and reversing the loss of biodiversity
- Governments need to implement national and sub-national policies to align with the GBF targets and goals
- Businesses need to assess and disclose impacts and implement sustainable practices
- You and I need to change our consumption habits to reduce waste and include dietary variety
- We all need to talk about biodiversity!
22 Actions for Biodiversity by Every Person Around the Globe
- Be a green commuter
- Go paperless
- Ditch disposable, choose reusable
- Reduce food waste
- Shop for sustainably sourced palm oil products
- Wash on full loads
- Learn to refuse
- Source sustainable produce
- Travel sustainably
- Use less water
- Reconnect with nature
- Reuse and upcycle
- Spread the word
- Take action against plastic pollution
- Don’t litter
- Conserve energy
- Stay informed
- Volunteer with a charity
- Recycle whenever possible
- Embrace minimalism
- Restore nature & biodiversity
- Celebrate Biodiversity Day!
it’s not too late to #BuildBackBiodiversity
Join the ecogreenlove community