Get the Original Recipe here (in German)
This recipe was passed to me by Anja, a friend in Germany. I love it because is simple and delicious 🙂
*“Schmand” is a fresh cream (similar to Crème Fraiche or whipping cream) that has a spoon-firm consistency. It is a lot like sour cream and has a has a lower fat content than Creme Fraiche. It is used in baking and cooking. If you don’t find something similar, a pureed combination of cream cheese and cottage cheese is a great way to make a substitution for it. Smooth 16 ounces of Cottage Cheese in a blender, then add one 8 ounce package of Cream Cheese and blend well.
Eat Good, Feel Good!
Zucchini and Schmand Pasta Sauce
Prep time: 15 Min.
Difficulty level: easy
- 250g of Pasta, (Spaghetti, Spirali, Tagliatelle, etc)
- 2 cubes of Vegetable stock
- 1 big Onion, pealed and cubed
- 2 small Zucchinis, grated
- 1 Garlic clove, pealed and cubed
- Olive Oil
- 1 cup of Schmand
or Crème fraîche
- 16 ounces of Cottage Cheese in a blender,
- then add one 8 ounce package of Cream Cheese
- and blend well.
- Salt and Pepper
- 2tbsp Paprika powder
- Mix the vegetable stock cubes with water and salt to cook the pasta according to the package instructions or al dente.
- In the meantime, sauté the onion with some oil in a pot. When is slowly getting transparent, turn the heat up and add the zucchini and garlic.
- When the onions and the zucchini get a golden color, add 50 to 100 ml of water. Turn the heat down a bit and let the them simmer evenly. Season with salt, pepper and paprika powder.
- When the water has evaporated from the pan/pot, pour in the drained pasta and stir.
- Then add in the cup of “Schmand” and mix well. Season to taste with the spices again.