Get the Original Recipe here
Carrot Cakes (Mock Crab Cakes)
- equal amounts of fresh carrot pulp and cooked brown rice (a good way to use up leftover rice)
- finely chopped sweet red and green peppers
- finely chopped onion
- 1 – 2 cloves pressed garlic
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. Braggs Liquid Amino Acids (or soy sauce), to taste
- 1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tsp. Nori (kelp) flakes
- 1 – 2 Ener-G Egg replacer (according to package directions)
- Seasoned bread crumbs (enough to hold it all together when molded into cakes)
- Put all ingredients into a large bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon. You want the mixture to hold together and not be crumbly. With your hands form handfuls of mixture into oval shaped patties, about 3/4 inch thick. (Wetting your hands during this process helps keep the mixture from sticking to your hands).
- Fry patties, several at a time, in a large heavy frying pan containing about 1/8 inch hot oil. I use light olive oil — not the extra virgin kind (save extra virgin olive oil for your salad dressings). I have also baked them on an oil sprayed pan in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes, spray cakes, and turn once. I like the way they turn out fried better because they are firmer, but you have to stand there while frying. Baking is easier, and doesn’t require your full attention, but the cakes will be less firm. Either way these are delicious!
- Serve these with a sauce made from Vegenaise and horseradish. Make it as hot as you like.