Go to the Original Recipe here
And this is how this week of Smoothies and Parfaits ends.
Enjoy the last days of August and look forward to September!
Red Currant Curd Granola Parfaits
- 2 cups fresh red currants (about 1 pint) rinsed (save a few for garnish!)
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into pieces
- pinch of salt
- In a saucepot, add the currants (stems and all) and a splash of water. Cook until the berries have burst and released all their juices. Use the back of a wooden spoon to gently help smoosh them.
- Strain the juice into a bowl pressing on the pulp to make sure you’ve gotten all the juice.
- Stir half the currant juice (for a more tart curd, add about 3/4 of it), yolks and sugar together in the rinsed sauce pot and place over medium heat. Stir constantly until the mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and add butter, 1 piece at a time, until incorporated. Scrap curd into a bowl and push a piece of plastic wrap right against the top of the curd (to prevent a skin forming). Refrigerate for at least an hour so it can set.
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 pint cherries, pitted and rough chopped
- Pour whipping cream and maple syrup into a bowl and, using electric mixer or stand mixer, whip until stiff peaks form.
- In 4 serving glasses (alternatively, 2 tall glasses), spoon a layer of whipped cream, then a layer of curd, a sprinkle of berries, another layer of whipped cream and a thick layer of granola. Do another layer of whipped cream and curd, and then top with granola. If you’ve reserved any currants, garnish with them.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to set, and then dig right in there!