Get the Original recipe here
Buttermilk Slab Pie
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 30 min
For The Pastry
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (8 oz) unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup ice water
For The Filling
- 1 egg white
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degress F. Lightly butter a 13 x 9 1/2 x 1 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and the salt. Gradually add the butter and using your fingertips, rub the butter through the flour mix until it becomes coarse.
- Add the water in two parts mixing together and producing a ball of dough.
- Gently place the dough into a zip lock bag and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- After the dough has rested dust the table with some flour and roll the dough out large enough to fill the pan, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick covering the sides of the pan also.
- Trim the edges of the slab and stab the base of the pie with a fork.
- Place the pie shell in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes and slightly golden in color.
- Once the pie crust is done, gently glaze the base of it with the egg white.
- Reduce the oven heat to 325 degrees. In a large bowl beat the eggs, cornstarch and sugar until well mixed.
- Beat in the buttermilk and melted butter alternately followed by the lemon juice, zest, nutmeg and salt.
- Place a baking stone or cookie sheet into the preheated oven.
- Pour the filling into the slab pie shell and place the pie onto a cookie sheet or baking stone.
- Bake for about 30 minutes and the top is crusted and puffy. It will still be jiggly but will firm up as it cools. It may take longer depending on the thickness of your base.
- Let cool before attempting to slice into squares. Serve dusted with powdered sugar.