Get the Original Recipe here
Broccoli Parmesan Tart
- Flour for dusting work surface
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed but cold
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups sautéed broccoli
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour. With a rolling pin, roll the puff pastry into a 13” x 10” rectangle.
- Place the puff pastry on the baking sheet. With a knife, lightly score 1 inch in from the edges to mark a rectangle. Using a fork, pierce the dough inside of the rectangle every 1 inch.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the pastry shell is cooking, create the custard. In a saucepot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add flour, stir with a whisk, and cook for 1 minute. While whisking, slowly add milk.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Add cheese, salt, and nutmeg and whisk to combine.
- Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes until the mixture is creamy and slightly thick. Remove from heat.
- When the pastry is finished cooking, remove it from the oven and lightly press down on the inner rectangle with the back of a fork to deflate the pastry and create a tart shell.
- Pour the cheese custard in the tart shell and spread evenly with a spatula. Evenly lay the broccoli on top and place into the oven.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the puff pastry is golden. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese. Slice and serve.
Try substituting sautéed asparagus or roasted cauliflower for a delicious twist.