Eat Good, Feel Good!
*I was playing with my waffle iron and came up with the idea of making tortillas with it and turned them into tostadas without frying them 😉
- 2-3 Hass avocados
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (coriander)
- 1 lime
- 1 Serrano or Jalapeño chili
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Grab a pinch of the onion and cilantro and pound them for a few seconds.
- Spoon out avocados.
- Work into a rough paste leaving some chunks.
- Add chopped onion, chopped tomatoes and chopped cilantro
- Add finely chopped chili (as much as you like!)
- Add the juice of one lime
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve in the molcajete with tortilla or corn chips
CORN & PARSLEY TOSTADAS
*using a waffle iron
- 1 heaping cup of instant Corn masa Flour (most common is Maseca brand)
- Handful of fresh Parsley
- 1 1/2 cups warm Water
- a pinch of Salt
When not using a wafle iron and making tortillas, not tostadas:
◊ Tortilla press
◊ 2 pieces of plastic (bags will do)
◊ a hot grill pan
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl
- Start adding 1 cup of water, when kneading the dough you will notice if you need more. The dough must have a soft moist consistency, that is not sticked to your fingers or to the bowl.
- Start shaping little balls, smaller size of your palm
- Use the tortilla press covered with the plastic sheets to avoid getting sticked and close. Then transfer the tortilla to the grill pan and when it starts making bubbles, it means is cooked, then flip it over and wait for the other side to cook, if it creates a big bubble, then is ready.
If you are trying to make it with the waffle iron as I experimented, just put the ball in the top center of the iron and close it, wait for 2 minutes or until is fully cooked.
Let them cool down and they are going to be thin and hard, like a tostada without having to deep fry.